This seems to be the perfect dish to bring to a BBQ, picnic, or just serve as part of your dinner. It’s light but filling, loaded with health benefits like protein/fats/vitamins, and is simple to make. The lemon vinaigrette is the perfect touch to bring all the flavors together. Get your grains soaking and start making this tonight!
*Follow Kristin at Iowa Girl Eats at http://iowagirleats.com for amazing recipes just like this one that she came up with! Thanks Kristin!!
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 orange, peeled, and segments chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper
For the lemon Vinaigrette:
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 TBS sweetener (honey, agave…)
- salt & pepper
- 6 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- Soak the quinoa in a bowl of water and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Once soaked, rinse quinoa extremely thoroughly!
- Heat up a dash of oil in a pot and add quinoa. Let the quinoa toast for 2 minutes, then add 2 cups of water and bring to a rapid bowl. Once a boil has been reached, reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and let sit for 15 minutes. Once the quinoa is done cooking, take a fork to the quinoa and fluff it. Set aside to cool.
- For the lemon vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake to combine.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl and pour the vinaigrette on top. Mix, serve, and enjoy!
*If you don’t have pomegranate arils, you can replace them with chopped strawberries, watermelon, or even jicama!