Veggie Lentil Bowl- 5 Ingredients
It’s been a while and what better way to end a blogging fast than by introducing a new recipe. I’ve been hooked on lentils lately, not just because their filling qualities or their endless food combinations but the amount of nutrients stored in these small pods.
I’ve been introducing a variety of vegetables and grains to the lentils to produce different meals to keep my taste buds constantly entertained. The most common players are quinoa, sun-dried tomatoes, and tofu. Tonight was a great combination that was full of nutrients, flavor, satiety, and energy for my late night workout.
This dinner is much easier than you would assume, cheap to make, and uses only 5 ingredients! Let’s dig in.
Veggie Lentil Bowl
- 1/4 tsp kosher/sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup dried lentils; cooked
- 8 large brussel sprouts; quartered
- Soak lentils in water while you prepare the pot to cook them. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a large pot (with a lid). Rinse lentils and add to the pot. Continue the boil for 2 minutes and then reduce to a simmer. After a few minutes, take the lid off and simmer for an additional 10-20 minutes.
- Add oil to a skillet and heat on the stove top. Add chopped brussel sprouts and a little bit of water. Cover and let cook on medium heat for 2-4 minutes. Remove the lid and continue cooking until brussel sprouts get a golden color on some of the sides, but remain green on the majority of the vegetable.
- Combine brussel sprouts, cooked lentils, sun-dried tomatoes and salt to a bowl and mix.
I enjoy drizzling balsamic vinegar on top to further enhance the flavors and give the meal a unique twist. If you think you’re not a fan of brussel sprouts, try roasting them. Experiment with other ingredients. Add garlic, quinoa, and carrots. Try making a breakfast bowl by combining tofu, spinach, and roasted walnuts. Enjoy!