Vegan Overnight Oats
Why am I just finding out about Iron and Wine? I tend to be known for melencholy music and the likes of it. I enjoy all kinds, I just happen to have the majority of my ipod filled with it. Anyways, dinner last night, breakfast this morning and currently I’m being entertained to the lovely voices of this band. Love Vigilantes seems to be the favorite so far but there are hundreds of other songs that await my listening. On to breakfast.
I’ve seen twitter messages and endless blog posts about vegan overnight oats time and time again. I’ve never tried them but I’ve always been slightly curious. The process is to soak raw oats with a mixture of dairy-free milk, chia seeds and a smashed banana. Leaving this overnight will result in a thick batter that is pleasurable for the pallet and awaiting a load of toppings. The chia seeds add a punch of nutrition, the oats fill you up, the non-dairy milk combined with the two give you plenty of protein and fiber to keep you going through a busy day.
- 3/4 cup almond or soy milk
- 1/3 cup raw oats
- 1 banana; mashed
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of kosher salt
- Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and whisk.
- Cover and place in a fridge overnight.
- In the morning, top with any kind of ingredients you think are plausable. Roasted sunflower seeds, walnuts, pecan halves, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, almond butter, cinnamon, blueberries, strawberries, honey, maple syrup, agave…
Have a great day!