Finding moderation and balance in life
You know, going vegan has to be one of the best decisions I ever made. I was living a life with inconsistent balance, constantly living in extremes whether that be with food or exercise. Weekly obsessions took over and soon enough would be forgotten like a bad date. I have never been so confident with the way I eat and live my life as I do now. I can design an incredible meal, enjoy every bit of it and not feel bad about what I ate. When you eat highly nutritious food that tastes amazing, where can you go wrong? There is nothing to feel bad about and no reason to degrade yourself. After switching to high raw vegan, I never looked back. I eat until I’m satisfied, I eat great food, and I have a passion for sharing it all with you.
I’ve been through high protein diets, low carb, low-calorie, and the only thing it makes you lose is your mind. If only years ago I could see how useless that way of thinking is. The idea that taking a magic pill or living off sugar-free foods were going to cure my unhappiness. I see so many women nowadays partake on an unpleasent journey through low-calorie, processed ‘diet meals’ that are supposedly going to make them drop the weight. Sure enough they will, but after one month or so of eating 800 minus calories you will gain it all back and more. I see television commercials advertising the latest diet meal. Send them a waddful check and they will deliver boxes of unappetizing, unpleasant, and unhealthy meals to your door. Since when did packaged, microwavable meals sound healthy? Peoople, there is so much more to food than eating this way. I promise, you can feast among the best meals of your life and still drop the lbs.
I don’t mean to get so passionate about this subject but it holds so dear to me. I’ve seen the way my mind, body, and lifestyle has changed since I discovered veganism. I’ve discovered balance in my food as well as my lifestyle choices. From where I am now, you could possibly label me as a high raw vegan. I don’t eat processed foods, chemically enhanced sugar-free snacks, and meat. It’s balance and moderation that will allow you to eat healthy and happily.
With that being said, I would love to share with you my latest healthy obsession. Yes, it’s a salad but not your traditional iceberg lettuce, gobs of tomato chunks smothered in a creamy ranch dressing kind of salad. It’s much better.
This greek inspired dish is one that will take your palate to new levels, leave your tummy fully content and make you begging for more. A tabouli base is a great start to this veg filled meal. You will stock up on plenty of fiber, protein, vitamins and flavor.
- Baked Tofu*
- Red onion
- Red pepper
- Black beans
- Lemon-Garlic dressing
*This baked tofu recipe is best made one day prior to making this dish. If you don’t have time to wait, then dismiss the tofu and add in an alternative ingredient. You don’t need to let the tofu marinade over night, but the flavor intensifies dramatically if you do.
- There should be instructions on the back side of the tabouli box. If you buy it in bulk, take a portion of dried tabouli, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and combine the ingredients together in a small bowl. Fill to the top with boiling water and let sit until the tabouli soaks up all of the water.
- For the baked tofu, buy super firm tofu. Combine in a large bowl balsalmic vinegar, minced garlic, a generous pinch of salt, black pepper, and a bit of olive oil. Drain the tofu for a minute, then slice up into 1/4 inch pieces and drop into the marinade mixture. Lid the bowl and keep in a refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Once your tabouli and baked tofu is set, add 3/4 cup of tabouli to the bottom of a bowl. Next, chop up the rest of your ingredients in amounts you like.
- For the dressing, combine 1/2 cup of lemon juice, 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic, pinch of kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Drizzle the lemon-garlic dressing on top of your not so traditional salad. Mix the ingredients together and sit down to this deliscious feast of a vegan dish!