A traditional Denmark treat, ebelskivers are a great addition to any meal. These light, puffy pancakes can be filled with fruit, chocolate, jam and cheese. Ebelskivers are wonderful served for breakfast, hors d’oeuvre, or as a light dessert.
This recipe can be used as a traditional pancake recipe, however to create the ebelskiver ‘look’, you need to have a specific pan. These can be bought at your local cookware store or William Sonoma.
- 2 ripe bananas, chopped
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons earth balance
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 chia eggs*
- 1 cup soy/almond milk
- 2 tbsp earth balance
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
*Chia eggs are a combination of chia seeds and water. Mix 2 tsp chia seed with 6 tbsp water. Let the mixture sit for a couple of minutes until the chia absorbs most of the water. The combination will create a slimy finish. This is your egg replacer. Chia seeds are incredibly healthy and beneficial to any diet.
- To make the filling, combine the bananas with the brown sugar, nutmeg and salt. In a saute pan, melt the earth balance. Stir in the banana mixture and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the mixture becomes liquidy.
- To make the vanilla batter, whisk together all of the wet ingredients in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the chia eggs, milk, smart balance and vanilla extract. Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Next, brush the wells of the ebelskiver pan with a small coating of earth balance. Turn the heat to medium high and add 1 tablespoon of the vanilla batter.
- Fill 1 teaspoon of the banana filling on top of the vanilla batter. Then top with another tablespoon of batter to create a sandwich of flavors.
- 3-5 minutes later or once you see bubbles appear on top of the ebelskivers, flip them over with 2 short wooden skewers.
- 3 minutes later, both sides should be fully cooked and ready to serve.
- Dust the ebelskivers with a light sprinkle of powdered sugar and serve up!